Monday, May 27, 2013

Craigslist chair DIY


After having this $30 Craigslist chair for almost a year, I finally got around to redoing it! 
I'd already reupholstered the cushion in the first picture, but when I got it the cushion was different. 
I loved the wicker look, but I could never decide what to do with it. I've been searching for a chair with wheels that I could use in my craft room, but I hate the way typical office chairs look. 
I finally decided that I might as well make use of the chair collecting dust in my garage, & since I could add wheels myself, I could use it in my craft room now & later it could serve as a multipurpose chair in the camper!


First thing first I tightened all the screws & stapled the sides where bits of the wicker were coming up. Not a very professional fix, but whatever, this chair was $30 & I'm very impatient.
I used Valspar spray paint for the first time, & was really happy with the results. 
The paint sprayed very evenly & the nozzle on the can was easier for me to hold down than Krylon.
Adding the casters was the trickiest part, even though it wasn't very hard at all! I've laid out the steps below, in case anyone else needs help with this.

The first thing to do when installing casters is to find the center of your leg, & mark it. 
Then take the caster apart & make sure your drill bit is the correct size. 


Next you'll drill into each leg where you marked the center.
Make sure to stop every now & then to clean the dust out of your bit, & check to see if your hole is deep enough. 


Once your hole is deep enough, stick your caster bit into the hole & hammer it down. 
Screw the wheels into the space, & voila!
Easy peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment